Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Reflections on Summer

Are those really leaves I see falling into my yard?  Once again I'm left wondering how summer has disappeared so quickly.  Once again I'm wondering what happened to all my grandiose plans...

Each year as the school days wind down to an end, and the spring days grow hotter and hotter, I see before me summer days stretching into infinity - day after timeless day to be filled doing whatever our hearts desire.  We will go the park whenever we want to, ride bikes every day.  I will be able to fit in some exercise: I will walk every day, swim laps a few times a week, maybe even do some yoga!  Emerson and I will do crafts in the afternoon as Ophelia sleeps.  We will paint and sew.  We will both learn to embroider.  Oh these magical endless summer days....

Mm-hm.

And now leaves are falling from the sky, kids are back in school, and did I do any of these things?  Ah...no.  We went to the park a couple of times.  Rode our bikes a little.  No yoga, no lap swim.  Definitely no embroidery.  (Very little blogging - remember that whole Childrens' Literature thing?  None of that...)  Somehow it feels as though summer has passed me by; like it was just yesterday that I was breaking out into hives and counting the days until I didn't have to drive back and forth from school every day.  And now here I am, about to start again.

Sigh.

But as I look through photos of our summer, (in the hopes of recapping in here in my blog) I realize that summer didn't pass me by at all.  Our summer was Full ...as it always is.  Full of relaxing and playing, trips and adventures, lazy days, friends and family, swimming and exploring, hiking and projects...even if the projects never got done...  Full of beaches and lakes and rivers and mountains, sunshine, sprinklers, worms and toads.  Full of the joy of being able to do whatever we wanted to do - which obviously didn't turn out to be walking or yoga or embroidery.

It was a summer where things didn't go as planned, and that's OK.  Life had it's own plan for us...

































1 comment:

  1. Summer always flies by. Plans never go as we want but then maybe they're better in the end. Looks like you didn't waste a minute though!

    ReplyDelete